Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ruby and Toad























I have a couple of ducks that hang out in my backyard.

Ruby is a mallard that I bought six years ago as a companion to a duck I was caring for. The furthest she flies anymore is from the back porch down to the pond. She likes to act as air traffic control for incoming duck visitors.

Toad came to live with me about a year ago - She came in to the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center after she was hit by a car up near Chris' Cafe in Huntsville. She can't extend her right wing but she's happy as a clam in my yard. She hops up the stairs to the deck and eats the cat food--she also likes to sneak up and bite the cats' tails. She occasionally takes a nap in the cat house before she fumbles back down to the yard. Weirdest thing ever to watch a handicapped duck descend a staircase.

No comments: